Moving apartments, selling your home? Found a conveyancing firm? Even if you’re not much of a planner, moving house becomes so much easier when you have a plan in place when the situation requires house removals services. Not to mention it can be a good opportunity for you to find out how many of the items you own you actually use. If you want to be sure you don’t forget important items behind, or you leave without doing all the necessary paperwork, take advantage of a moving checklist that will make the process pain-free. We created this 69 points moving house checklist of top tips that starts 7 weeks before you move up to the day of the move, because you have so much to do, and there is no reason to stress yourself out like a student on the night before the exam. If you are a student looking for storage near your University, check our Student Storage Guide.
Your Self Storage Guide
Find a Storage Unit Near You
Click here if you need Removal services.
Moving House Checklist
7 Weeks Before You Move – Research House Removals Companies and Self Storage Facilities
1. First on this moving house checklist is to research house removals companies. Ask your friends and family for their favourite local removal company, enquire, and compare house removal cost .
Six Weeks Before Moving House – Create Inventory and Sort Paperwork
6. Contact at least two moving and self-storage companies and ask for estimates.7. Put all of your paperwork in one folder. 8. Create an inventory for all of your belongings. 9. In your moving notebook, write down all the steps you need to change your address, and put aside a few minutes every day to make some phone calls. 10. Change the address where your online orders will be shipped. 11. Start cleaning your cabinets and closets, and arrange all of your items into three piles: broken items, items that can be donated, and those that are in a good shape and can still be used. 12. Put items that you use only during certain seasons in different boxes and label them. Here’s a guide on putting labels for moving boxes.
Compare Removal Companies Quotes
Get quotes quickly and easily from a removals near you.
5 Weeks Before Moving House – Start Decluttering Your Home
13. Be wise about grocery shopping. Don’t buy too much food that will stay in the refrigerator. Make sure you cook all your frozen food before you go. 14. Start decluttering your house. Hold a garage sale or sell some belongings you don’t need on websites such as eBay and Craigslist to cover some of your moving expenses. You can also sell unneeded furniture to online stores that buy and sell used furniture. It’s also best to hire furniture movers to help you out in moving these bulky stuff. 15. Choose a removal company and ask them what additional services they cover. Sometimes some of them offer both packing and moving services. If you’re looking for professional movers, check out our partner Man and Van and Removal companies. 16. You may want to just hire a van for a day, if that’s the case, make sure to get van insurance or a breakdown cover. If you’re hiring a car make sure you have car insurance and driving license. You can get instant quotes for insurance at confused.com. You may also want to get content insurance if transferring your own stuff, and health insurance just in case you have an accident. 17. Start cleaning the garden and shed, and set up a day for cleaning the whole house as well. You may consider looking into move-out cleaning service near you to lessen your burden. 18. Check with your home insurance cover, gas, and electricity companies about the steps you need to take when you change your address. 19. Check if all of your furniture and rugs will fit well in the new house. 20. Reach out to a friend if you need help moving. 21. Contact your doctor if you suffer from a condition that needs constant medication. 22. Make a list with all of the moving supplies you need, including boxes, tape, special boxes for fragile items, etc. 23. Label each box by room and contents. 24. Cancel any subscriptions to magazines and newspapers, as well as any local services you may be using.
Four Weeks – A Month Before You Move House – Take Photos of Your Home for Evidence
25. Change your address officially before the move. You may also want to inform the post office incase you want letters redirected. 26. Speak with your employer about your move and ask for at least two days off. 27. Look over the contract signed with the company that is helping you move and make sure you have a moving/travel insurance in place for everything in case something breaks or gets lost during the move. Your home insurance may not cover the move. 28.Take photos of your furniture and belongings that can potentially end up scratched during the move. In case your items get damaged, the photos will serve as proof. 29. Email your friends and other people that you think should know your change of address. 30. Buy a map of the new place or download the map on your smartphone and label all the important stores, hospitals, etc.
Three Weeks Before You Move House – Get Packing Boxes and Start Packing Seriously
31. Contact a babysitter if you have children. You’ll need that extra hand during the move. 32. Clean and defrost your freezers before the move. 33. Withdraw enough money in case you will travel to areas with no ATM machines so get that travel money. 34. Book a motel or a hotel room in case you need to stop on your way. Check online reviews first for safety and cleanliness, or ask a few friends for recommendations. 35. Serviced apartments are an excellent accommodation option for those between homes. 36. Ask one of your friends and family to help you out if you have a pet, or consider hiring a specialist. 37. Return borrowed books or movies. 38. Save money and get your packing boxes and start packing seriously. You can find free moving boxes in nearby bookstores, supermarkets, or even your workplace. You may also opt on buying storage boxes which are more sturdy and perfect for long ride. Corrugated cardboard boxes are best recommended when it comes to moving house. But before you buy, review first the items you rarely use, and get rid of them so you’d know how many boxes you will need for the move. Meanwhile, here’s a guide on how to pack for moving the right way to make sure your stuff are safe during the transportation. 39. Check to see if your pipes are clogged. 40. Ask your real estate agent or the previous owner of your new house about when you can meet with them to take the keys.
2 Weeks Before Moving House – Moving Essentials
41. Double-check if you paid all of your bills and if you canceled all of the local subscriptions. You can double check this with your credit card company. 42. Hold a small goodbye party if you have too much frozen food left in your freezer. 43. Get rid of all of the items that can’t be taken with you (e.g., flammable chemicals). 44. Save everything on your laptop or computer on the cloud. 45. Make sure your new place has all utility bills paid (energy supplier, broadband and phone, TV etc) before the move. You can check the meter readings when you arrive. 46. Look through your boxes and find out whether you have belongings that you could donate, sell, or throw away. You may not have space in your new house. 47. Make sure you packed all the essentials for the move. 48. Call the movers company for any last-minute changes and re-confirm the moving date. 49. Schedule a cleaning day with your friends or family. If you don’t have time, hire a company to leave the house sparkling.
1 Week Before Moving House – Begin Dismantling Furniture
50. Make sure the utilities aren’t running anymore. Also, check with utility companies again and ask about your new place. 51. I think now is the time to start dismantling furniture that is not absolutely necessary. You won’t be able to dismantle appliances like fridges and washing machine but cupboards, drawers and tables you can start with. For moving furniture, this guide on hiring furniture movers might be of help. 52. Pack some comfortable clothes for moving 53. Check the weather for moving day. 54. Put all of your documents in a folder. If you have a small wooden box where you can protect your documents, use that instead. 55. Give away all your plants if you can’t bring them with you. Keep in mind that most moving companies don’t accept plants since they are very fragile. If that is the case, then you might need to pack them and move them on your own. Here’s a guide to moving plants with care if you’d rather bring them with you. 55. Make sure your clothes are clean. Buy wardrobe boxes for moving to keep them protected during the transportation. 56. If you have pets, make sure you have someone looking over them during the trip. Read this guide on moving house with pets to keep your fur babies safe during the move. 57. Allow your children to have a small goodbye party with their friends, and share your phone number and new address with them. It’s also necessary to discuss with your kids your plan to move the earliest you can so they will be prepared mentally. Here’s some tips when moving with children you may find helpful.
The Day You Move – Go Through Your Moving House Checklist!
58. It’s day of the move. Look around the house and make sure everything is clean. 59. Check boxes and folders with important documents, and give the moving company a call to confirm. 60. Make sure you have the keys to your new house. 61. Charge your cell phone. 62. Take the bedsheets and curtains, and pack your mattresses. Bring some spare clothes with you. 63. Pack up the most valuable items you own, and take them to your new location 64. Don’t forget your toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, comb, showering gel, shampoo, towels, and toilet paper. 65. Pack a few snacks, as you’ll probably be too busy to cook. 66. Don’t forget to pack your bicycles, this is when folding bikes really come in handy. Here’s how to pack a bike to make sure it does not get damaged during the move. 67. Go through your moving house checklist to see if everything is checked off once again – it is the day of the move after all.
What To Do After Moving To Your New Home?
Congratulations, you’ve gone through the whole moving house checklist and just moved house. Now that you are in your new place, take a few moments to look around and start unpacking the essentials. It will probably take you roughly a week until you get everything in place, depending on how many people will help you along the way. First, make sure you get a little bit of privacy by setting up your curtains. Next, put your cosmetics and towels in bathroom, and take out a few pots and frying pans that you are likely to use in the following days. Take out your rugs and the carpets, and place them on the floor. This will protect your floors from getting stained and you from getting a cold if you moved to a colder environment. If your rugs or carpets are dirty, give them a thorough clean or hire a professional carpet cleaner. We recommend the guys at Vale Carpet Cleaning or Cardiff Carpet Cleaning. In the following days, make sure you set aside a few hours every day for unpacking. After day 3, you should be done with everything. Time to celebrate? You bet! If you have a small yard, invite your new neighbours to a small BBQ party. There is no better way to make new friends than good food and a few drinks. We hope this moving home checklist gave you some useful information to help you with your next move! We are also in the process of creating a moving house cost calculator and a repayment calculator in case you need a personal loan which we hope you will find useful. Meanwhile, check out our moving guides to some of the most popular destinations: – Moving to London – Removals Company in London – Moving to Manchester – Removals Company in Manchester – Moving to Bournemouth – Removals Company in Bournemouth
Compare Storage, Removals or Man and Van
Get the Best Quotes on your Move Today!